Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sunday Christians...

I think every Christian battles with the problem of living the life of Sunday Christians.  Monday through Saturday, we act as the rest of the world does; but when Sunday rolls around, we act as we should (or at least while we are in church).  God says we should never live as the rest of the world does.  You can check out the scripture here: 

Romans 12:2 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.  


Living as the rest of the world does is literally killing us.  It is causing us to not be able to grow in our faith and we end up spending a life time walking in circles in the wilderness.  Satan LOVES this and I don't know about you, but I want to keep Satan under my foot and not let him own my soul.

I have a few different things I have been doing lately that have helped me become more fruitful for His glory.  Maybe it can help you as well: 

  • When I wake up in the morning, I have been praying immediately.  Before my feet even hit the floor, my eyes are on God.  I thank Him for everything and then ask that He help me be fruitful that day.   
  • I make it my daily purpose to find at least one thing I can do to help someone.  Even if it is something small like holding a door or picking up something someone dropped.  If I have more opportunities than one, I keep helping any chance I can get.
  • When I get frustrated or agitated about something, I immediately tell myself (out loud sometimes) that God loves me and that's all that matters.  I watch a lot of Joyce Meyer and that is one of her tips that I have really found useful.  It calms my nerves almost immediately.  The next step is to look at the other person and know that God loves them too and I wouldn't want to be obnoxious to someone that God loves (which, consequently is everyone). 
  • Last, but certainly not least...  I read His word.  I don't read as much as I should, however I do pull out the Bible several times a week and read.  If my Bible is not handy, I use Biblegateway.com.  They have so many different versions of the Bible so you can check out the different texts of certain scriptures which is really helpful.  This scripture describes God's word better than I would be able to in my own words. 


Hebrews 4:12 12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

     

I think most, if not all of us get into ruts and start living the life of a wordly person at one time or another, but the worse thing we can do for ourselves and everyone else is to ignore the Holy Spirit and continue walking in circles.  God is always there for us.  He never leaves us or forsakes us.  If we get off the path God has for us, we need to make sure we repent and get back on His path quickly.  He will renew our souls and guide us.  He is amazing!  Check out this scripture:

Psalm 23:3 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.


I am a music buff and Casting Crowns has a couple of songs that I listen to when I feel like I am getting into a rut.  I will add them to the music player so you can check them out if you would like to.  The Altar and the Door is one of them.  This song is about Sunday Christians and is a motivator for me.  The other song is Somewhere in the Middle.  It talks about how we are stuck in the middle of good and bad, light and dark, etc.  I don't want to be in the middle.  I want to be fruitful for the Lord. 

Thank you Lord for being so amazing and forgiving us for our sins!  We praise you for being such a loving God! 

LD

No comments:

Post a Comment